April 5, 2013

The Lord of the Lord of the Rings

My kids love The Lord of the Rings movie. If I let them, they'd watch it from dawn till dusk. Lately I decided to join them meanwhile doing the ironing. I myself fell in love with the story. New layers opened up revealing new meanings, unnoticed several years ago. I've never ironed that much.
Мои дети обожают фильм "Властелин колец". Если б им позволили, они б смотрели его с утра до ночи. Недавно я решила присоединиться к ним, совместив это дело с глажкой. Я сама влюбилась в эту историю. Открывая новые смыслы, обнаружились новые слои, незамеченные несколько лет назад. Никогда я еще столько не гладила.



We laugh together at Gimli's comments. I tear up each time beautiful friendship and loyalty of the characters are manifested in different circumstances.  I love how Aragorn releases the dead, the prisoners of curse. And of course, I melt up at his love story with Arvin. Apparently, my kids do too, in their own way, they giggle as the two kiss and they also say Arvin and Aragorn look like Mom and Dad (sigh).

Мы вместе смеемся над замечаниями Гимли. У меня в глазах слезы каждый раз, когда чудесная дружба и верность героев проявляются в разных обстоятельствах. Мне нравится, как Арагорн освобождает мертвецов, пленников проклятия. И конечно, я таю от их истории любви с Арвин. Видимо, мои дети тоже, по-своему, тают - хихикают, когда эти двое целуются. И еще они говорят, что Арвин и Арагорн похожи на маму с папой (вздыхаю). 






And most of all, I think of Frodo bearing the ring. Besides the external dangers he suffered from internal temptation, doubt, loneliness, fear.. I think of the cross of Jesus. Many in His days were executed that same awful way. But the worst thing Jesus suffered wasn't physical pain. All the guilt of every sin ever committed. All loneliness and separation from the Father. Nothing but the darkness around. In fact, He Himself felt He was darkness...
И больше всего я думаю о том, как Фродо нес кольцо. Помимо внешних опасностей он мучился от внутренних искушений, сомнения, одиночества, страха.. Я думаю о кресте Иисуса. Многие в те дни были казнены так же ужасно. Но худшее, что перенес Иисус, это не физическая боль. Вся вина за каждый когда-либо совершенный грех. Все одиночество и разлука с Отцом. Ничего, кроме тьмы вокруг. Фактически, Он Сам ощущал Себя тьмой...

I'm no Tolkienist and probably talking trivialities, but those things sounded fresh especially in this Lenten/Eastern season.
Я не толкиенист и, возможно, говорю банальности, но они зазвучали по-новому особенно в этот период Великого поста/ Пасхи.

4 comments:

  1. Love the pictures! Awesome!:) hanger as a bow looks very impressive:). Imagination unlimited:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just now catching up on my reading.: ) We love Lord of the Rings, too, even though Erich has not yet seen the movies. We are reading the books aloud and just started on "The Two Towers".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to be even more enamoured with the story as my kids watch it over and over))
      Yes, it is better to read the book first. But we quit reading Narnia aloud because Danya wasn't getting it, let alone Lord of the Rings. And Pasha's waiting for me to buy the books.

      Delete