February 14, 2013

Last Year St.Valentine's

Well, Happy St.Valentine's!

There's a wonderful Godly Play story about St.Valentine - you can enjoy reading about it at Explore and Express, my friend Sheila's blog. I'm always inspired by  Sheila, and though I had no idea how to tell the story in a Godly Play way, I searched the web for some information on Valentine and reenacted the story I made up with the PlayMobil Romans for my kids. My story was about how Valentine kept marrying the couples secretly in spite of the mean Emperor's decree outlawing marriage. And for doing that he was imprisoned and executed :( The kids were impressed.
Есть чудесная история Godly Play про Св.Валентина - вы можете прочитать об этом в блоге моей подруги Шилы Explore and Express. Шила всегда вдохновляет меня, и хотя я понятия не имела, как рассказывать GP историю правильно, я нашла в сети информацию о Валентине и воспроизвела историю с помощью плэймобиловских фигурок. Моя история была о том, как Валентин продолжал подпольно венчать пары, несмотря на указ злого императора, отменяющий браки. За это его посадили в тюрьму и казнили :( Дети были впечатлены.


After the story we made Valentine's greeting cards which had to have a heart, of course. I cut a heart-shape out of a cardboard with an exacto knife. The kids got to use both outer and inner parts for stencilling and outlining.
После истории мы сделали открытки, конечно, с сердечками. Я вырезала из картона сердечки макетным ножом. Дети использовали обе части - и наружную, и внутреннюю, - как шаблон и как трафарет.



It is better to use a sponge with a harder layer - you can hold it firmer and the paint won't get on your fingers.
Лучше использовать губку, у которой есть более твердый слой - удобнее держать, и не пачкаются пальцы.


You can see, as always with kids, the process here was more important than the result. They had fun and learned about stencil (sorry about the blurred picture!).
Видите, как всегда с детьми, сам процесс важнее результата. Они веселились и узнали, что такое трафарет (простите за размытую картинку!)

My oldest made this tiny folded up card, retelling the story I shared. 
Эту крохотную открытку в виде книжки-гармошки, сделал старший:



A сhocolate cake adorned with more stencilled hearts was a nice ending of that St.Valentine's day :)
Шоколадный тортик, украшенный сердцами тоже с помощью трафарета -  был прекрасным окончанием того дня Св.Валентина :)


(My kids always count objects like these hearts: this is Daddy, this one's Mama, that's my brother, that's me!.. I always have to make sure there's five.)
(Мои дети всегда считают такие объекты, как эти сердечки: это папа, это мама, это брат, это еще брат, а это я! Всегда должно быть пять.) ♥ 





5 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Sheila at Explore and Express told me about your blog, so thought I'd stop by. You have some great ideas here! I'm always looking for ways to bring the "saint" back into valentine's day; it has become so secular here in the U.S. that most people don't even call it "Saint Valentine's Day" any longer. I'm subscribing to your feed and look forward to reading more. (Don't worry--your English is fine!) Incidentally, my daughter is from St. Petersburg, a city we grew to love after numerous trips there. Happy St. Valentine's Day to you and your family!

    Cheryl
    http://www.diary-of-a-sower.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Cheryl!

    Lovely to hear your daughter is from St.Petersburg! We love this city also, just visited last June.

    I've read your blog and even used your idea of meditation on Isa9:1-2. Will share some day with a link back to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asmic, Your pictures are amazing!! Not just the cuteness of your boys, but the quality of the photos. What kind of camera do you have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite thing in this post is Pasha's retelling of the story. That is just priceless!

      Delete
  4. Haha, I know))) I say it's a bonus for Russian-speaking readers))) Thanks for the compliment, Sheila! All my pics are taken with an iPhone 4S.

    ReplyDelete